Friday, September 19, 2008

Persepolis

I actually wasn't as big a fan of Persepolis as I was for The Moviegoer. I had read a little of Persepolis last year and I had liked it then, but when I read the entire first part as a whole it seemed a little irritating. I enjoyed the story itself; I would have even preferred it to stand on its own as a novel. It was really the sense of humor and the artwork that sometimes bothered me. I would be reading the novel and would be really into it then all of a sudden there'd be a joke thrown in and I'd think "well THAT killed the mood." On top of that, whenever a response to an emotional scene was drawn, the crying of the characters always seemed so exaggerated and over-the-top to me. I personally have always had an aversion to crying so I suppose that could be a part of my criticism, but I don't believe that everyone falls to the ground heaving and sobbing when they cry either. However, I don't write any of this to draw away from Satrapi's obvious talents. I do believe that she is a strong artist and writer, but I still would not choose to read it on my own time.

*EDIT*
The conversations with God in the novel were something that I held a particular fondness for. However, I didn't look at it as a religious reflection; more of the naivety of a child. As the novel progresses she loses the ability and desire to have those open conversations with God. Which is really a reflection of human beings in general. Usually, the more tragedy someone experiences the less likely he or she is to hold strong to any religious beliefs. Tragedy has a tendency to bring a person's faith into question. Humans are historically regarded as very curious in nature; hence the creation of many gods/goddesses/religions/etc. It was caused by our innate desire to search for explanations about the things around us. That being said, it is reasonable for a person to try to find the reason and cause for a tragedy if only to have something or someone to blame. Often times the person blamed is a religious figure. Once Marji loses her beloved uncle, she banishes God from her life. Even though expressed through cartoons, it is a very realistic topic. The novel then jumps in her age. Which could be a metaphorical way of expressing her need to grow up really fast. All-in-all I think it was a very good way to discuss a sensitive topic.

1 comment:

reader said...

I was not a fan of Persepolis either. I fail to find the reason for the structure, and certainly I fail to see any humor. By this I mean what exactly was the point in showing the hurt and pain, (from the illustrations) that would only bring back bad memories? Was it the fact that others needed to simply know the realm of reality of such a people living in fear and turmoil, or did this have something to do with exploiting not only the pain and suffering of her family, but the identity and eventual reaction of other societies? It is a fine line in determining this I feel. Where do the jokes come in? I would call it pleasant laughter, or a break in the tragedies of which was written, not any form of joke!
I agree some content may have been exaggerated and over the top, but it was overall well written. I think the tone in which it was written is questionable. It was to "set everyone straight on the facts," as if no one knew already. Yes, we saw her family and how they suffered, and it would have been better to have stopped there.